CIEE logo
  Explore All CIEE Programs

Sharing your experience with your family

CIEE Internship USA allows your dependents to accompany you to the United States. It’s a wonderful way to extend the exchange experience, so it can benefit the whole family! Dependents are able to visit the U.S. by obtaining a J-2 visa. Spouses and unmarried children under 21 are eligible.

How to apply for a J-2 visa

Participants must submit a CIEE J-2 Dependent Application form. As always, your CIEE international representative is there to help, by providing forms and assistance to ensure the application is completed correctly. Participants can submit the Dependent Application along with the program application or later, after they arrive in the U.S.

The following information is required for each dependent applying for a J-2 visa:

  • Comprehensive biographical information, including name, date of birth, dates of travel, contact and passport information
  • A copy of his or her passport
  • Proof of status (a marriage certificate for a spouse; a birth certificate for a child)
  • Some applicants will be required to provide proof of insurance coverage for the dependent’s entire stay in the United States. Check with your international representative for details.
  • Proof of financial support for each J-2 dependent for the entire length of the program ($1,000/month/dependent). CIEE will accept a certified copy of the dependent's bank statement, or proof that you have or will be making enough money to cover expenses for everyone.

Back to top of page