CIEE logo
  Explore All CIEE Programs

Do you qualify to intern in the United States?

An internship in the United States is one of the best investments you can make in yourself. It will set the stage for career advancement and enrich your life immeasurably as you experience American business practices and culture. If you’ve decided that a CIEE Internship USA program sounds like the right choice for you, the first step is to find out if you’re eligible.

Prospective interns have to meet some basic requirements set by the U.S. Department of State to qualify for a J-1 Visa.


You must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be a full-time student, or if you’ve completed university, be within one year of graduating
  • Have the English skills necessary to contribute in an American workplace
  • Train in a field related to your academic background

There may be additional eligibility criteria, depending on the specifics of your proposed internship. Please check with your CIEE international representative for comprehensive eligibility information, or contact CIEE directly.

If you have a post-secondary degree (of at least one year in duration) and at least one year of professional experience related to the proposed training, or have five years of professional experience related to the proposed training, CIEE Professional Career Training USA may be the right program for you. Learn More

Back to top of page